Monday, September 19, 2011

Tumalo Valley Ridge Hike 8A

Hiking down off the Ridge at the end of the day.


Opening Circle
We went over the learning targets for the day, expectations, hiking protocols, and our first activity.

Hiking
Our first activity was to hike to the top of a ridge overlooking our study site, near the end of paving on Skyliners Road. While we hiked, we were to observe the changes in flora and fauna, and record these in our fieldwork journal for further study in science.

Hiking up for the overview of the valley.
Map activity
Using various map reading techniques including use of contour lines and landmarks we pinpointed our location on a map.

Lunch
We had lunch at the ridge summit, observing ground landmarks for our study site such as the dry creek bed, springs, and spruce grove.




Solitude
We spread out and reflected on the day and worked on word choice by describing our solitude and reflection area in great detail.

Hike Down
On the way down, we decided to test which of the two routes was faster. Students separated into two groups, with one teacher in each, and hiked backed to the bus. 



Here are a few of our exceptional reflections and some blurbs:

At this moment I'm sitting on a ridge, the peak of a hiking trail switchback. It’s hot, the sun is bright, and one direction sprouting from every natural object is accompanied by a dark streak of shadow, and because of varied texture, differ in length. My upper limb is over my knee, most of the sun’s rays bearing into my forearm while  my hand is cool in my body masse’s shade. The wind wells up from gaping valleys between ridges, and does its best to cool me. But alas, it only adds to the fine dust that encrusts my face.
The air is quiet, except for the flow of air pressure and the occasional car motor. On the drop off of the ridge where I’m currently crouching, there are scores of snowbrush, crowning the summit. I glance across the valley, and I see nothing but trees rise from a visually absent, almost mysterious bottom. From the plant free, thoroughly trampled trail I notice how the bushes are so dense, hiding their base, making me wonder if the covered ground is as rocky as the trail. There is almost no scent in the air, concluding my list of affected scents. 
---Martin Girardi


Leaves scattered around on the ground; Manzanita bushes packed densely together; gray rocks half-buried into the ground: these are the things I am seeing in this area. Logs from fallen trees and dirt are also on the ground. I can faintly hear the gentle rush of the creek, Although there are loud bugs I hear every so often, this area is pretty peaceful. I taste dirt in my mouth whenever the ground is interrupted.
Picking up a dead leaf that has fallen off a bush, I feel the dryness and rough texture of the it. The leaves on the bushes are green; the ones on the ground, yellow. The pones stand taller than the bushes. The bottom of the trees’ branches have fallen and died, but the tops are green and silently rustling. 
---Sophia Nelson
 

No comments:

Post a Comment